SENSORY Enrichment Coach™
Certified by Nordic Education Centre
for Ethical Dog Training
Welcome to the Sensory Enrichment Coach Certification™ program!
This comprehensive training is designed to equip you with the knowledge and skills to become a certified SEC by Nordic Education Centre for Ethical Dog Training, specialising in enriching the sensory experiences of dogs. Throughout this program, you will learn how to create stimulating environments, understand canine body language, and facilitate a positive and rewarding learning journey for dogs.
By the end of this certification, you will be well-prepared to enhance the well-being of dogs, promote their curiosity, and foster stronger connections between them and their human companions. Join us on this fulfilling path as we embark on a mission to make a positive difference in the lives of our four-legged friends.
Why Sensory Enrichment?
An enriched sensory environment can have numerous positive effects on a dog’s well-being and help reduce stress by addressing their natural instincts and cognitive needs. Here are some ways an enriched environment benefits dogs:
1. Mental Stimulation:
An enriched environment provides a variety of sensory stimuli, such as different scents, textures, and sounds. These stimuli engage a dog’s senses and mental faculties, promoting mental agility and preventing boredom.
2. Physical Exercise:
Enrichment activities often involve physical movement, which benefit the physical health in dogs of all ages.
3. Reduced Anxiety:
An enriched environment can help alleviate anxiety and stress in dogs. Providing appropriate outlets for their instincts, like sniffing and exploring, helps create a sense of mastering, security and comfort.
4. Problem Solving:
A sensory environment challenges and stimulate a dog’s problem-solving skills and boost their confidence.
5. Social Interaction:
Some enrichment activities can be shared with other dogs or their human companions, promoting positive social interactions and strengthening the bond between the dog and their family members.
6. Prevention of Destructive Behaviors:
When a dog is mentally and physically stimulated in their environment, they are less likely to resort to destructive behaviors like chewing furniture or excessive barking due to boredom or stress.
7. Improved Adaptability:
Exposure to various sensory stimuli in different environments can enhance a dog’s adaptability, making them more confident and comfortable in novel situations.
8. Emotional Fulfillment:
Providing opportunities for exploration in an enriched sensory environment gives dogs a sense of purpose and fulfillment, leading to overall improved emotional well-being.
It’s important to note that an enriched sensory environment should be tailored to each dog’s individual needs, preferences, and temperament. Introducing new enrichment activities gradually and in a positive manner is crucial to ensuring the dog enjoys the experience and benefits from it. By incorporating sensory enrichment into a dog’s daily life, owners and caregivers can contribute significantly to their pet’s happiness, reduce stress, and create a harmonious and enriched living environment for them. Sensory environments is a great activity for all dogs in all ages.
Why becoming a certified Sensory Enrichment Coach?
Becoming a certified Sensory Enrichment Coach offers a host of benefits for both the coach and the dogs and caretakers they work with. Here are some compelling reasons to pursue this certification and how it can make a positive impact:
1. Expertise in Canine Well-being:
As a certified Sensory Enrichment Coach, you gain specialized knowledge in understanding canine behavior, sensory needs, and emotional well-being. This expertise allows you to create tailored enrichment plans that cater to individual dogs’ needs, enhancing their overall quality of life.
2. Reducing Stress and Behavioral Issues:
Enriching a dog’s environment helps reduce stress and prevents behavioral issues caused by boredom or anxiety. By offering stimulating activities, you can address behavioral challenges and foster healthier and happier dogs.
3. Strengthening the Bond with Dogs:
As a Sensory Enrichment Coach, you facilitate positive interactions with dogs, building trust and strengthening the bond between dogs and their human caretakers. This enhanced relationship leads to a more fulfilling and harmonious partnership.
4. Career Development:
This certification can open doors to various career opportunities working with dogs. You can establish your own business, providing enrichment services to dog owners, training facilities, and shelters. As the demand for specialized dog care continues to grow, this certification can be a valuable asset in building a successful career in the pet industry.
5. Volunteering and Giving Back:
Enrichment activities can be a fulfilling way to volunteer and give back to the community. Offering your services for free to shelters or rescue organizations helps improve the lives of dogs awaiting adoption, increasing their chances of finding forever homes.
6. Enhancing Canine Adoption Rates:
Dogs that are mentally and emotionally stimulated are more likely to exhibit positive behaviors and traits, making them more attractive to potential adopters. By enriching shelter dogs’ lives, you contribute to increasing their adoption rates and finding them loving families.
7. Personal Satisfaction:
Working as a Sensory Enrichment Coach can be personally rewarding. Witnessing the joy and contentment of dogs as they engage in enrichment activities brings a sense of fulfillment and purpose to your work.
As a certified coach, you can offer enrichment services as a paid activity on a part-time or full-time basis, allowing you to work at your own pace and schedule. Alternatively, you can choose to engage in enrichment activities as a free activity during your spare time, providing a positive impact on dogs and caretakers without any financial burden.
In conclusion, becoming a certified Sensory Enrichment Coach equips you with valuable skills to improve the lives of dogs and their caretakers. Whether you choose to pursue it as a paid career, volunteer your services, or offer free enrichment activities to family and friends, the benefits are far-reaching, promoting well-being, and creating happier, healthier canine companions.
- Understand when the dog has finished investigating
- Understand that the dog should be either off-leash or on a long leash
- Understand that no commands should be given to the dog whilst in the enrichment area
- Underdstand that the handler, coach, or anyone else should not tell the dog what to do
- Understand that the handler, coach, or anyone else should not physically show the dog what to do through body language (where to go or what to sniff)
- Understand that the dog can be allowed to urinate/relieve itself in the environment
- Understand what items can be used – and what should not be used in the environment
- Have the knowledge to observe the dogs’s body language to distinguish if the dog is fearful or happy in the environment
- Understand when the dog is scared/fearful/nervous and when to stop
- Differentiate between the dog being scared or cautious
- Understand the importance of giving the dog the time it needs to explore and that it is okay to be skeptical
- Understand the importance of dogs being curious
- Understand what an enriched environment is according to Nordic Dog Trainer.
- Understand how to create a sensory environment indoors or outdoors in familiar surroundings.
- Understand what an enriched sensory environment is on a new site and what it involves of objects (if any).
Prerequisite: minimum Level 1 at Nordic Education Centre for Ethical Dog Training.
- In addition to the level 1 curriculum these recorded lectures:
- by Turid Rugaas
- by Galen Myotherapy on physical benefits
- by Lisbeth on how to start up and how to get customers
- by Lisbeth on various environments; what, where, how long, how and why
Multiple choice test with 10 questions + 2 full answer questions.
4 practical assignments filming and complete own evaluation and explanation form:
2 films of two different indoor environments
2 films of different outdoor environments
All 4 assignments and the quiz need to be passed. If you do not pass, you have the opportunity to re-take the quiz/submit a new practical assignment 1 more time.
Price: 270 Euro/297 USD
We open doors for registration the 4th of October!
- This course is entirely self-paced for independent study.
- Register at your convenience, without strict enrolment deadlines.
- Upon registration, gain immediate access to the course platform, enabling you to view theory lectures at your preferred time and pace.
- Complete all four assignments and the quiz within a generous twelve-month (1 year) timeframe from the date of enrolment.
Estimated time use:
- theory lectures: approx. 5 hours
- per practical assignments: 2- 3 hours
- compendium (reading): 30 min – 1 hour
- theory test (quiz): 30 min – 1 hour